Following is a list of the supplies we still need for the school year 2022-2023
- Large (18-19″) Girls Backpacks
- Large (18-19″) Boys Backpacks
- Medium Girls (Junior High) Backpacks
- Medium Boys (Junior High) Backpacks
- Smaller Girls Backpacks
- Pens – Black
- Pens – Blue
- Pencil Sharpeners (with built-in receptacle)
- Dry Erase Markers – black
- Correction Tape
- Yellow Highlighters
- Scientific Calculators (100)
- English/Spanish Dictionaries (100)
Tips for finding bargains from our school supply super shoppers:
- Fall is the best time to find backpacks at reduced prices in discount stores like Walmart and drugstores (Walgreens, CVS) because they clear out school inventory to feature holiday items. Talk to the manager and offer $2 or $3 each for backpacks.
- Check the sales bins of office supply stores for close-out deals.
- Online shoppers . . . When searching on Amazon.com – search for “bulk” items. For example, you can purchase a package of 50 blue pens for $5.79 or a box of 144 for approximately $11.00. USB drives are another great online deal when purchased in quantity (i.e. Amazon) and take up little space to transport.
- If you are flying to Cozumel, BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS and have them handy when you arrive to show Customs officials if requested.
~ The need – Attending a public school is “free”. However, families must furnish the learning supplies (very expensive to buy locally) plus purchase required uniforms and shoes. Families who can’t afford these expenses for all their school age children, may have to decide which children to send to school or what basic needs to go without (i.e. food, rent/utilities, health related expenses) to pay for school supplies. Supplies are only distributed to children “in need” identified by local pastors, Friends of Cozumel volunteers and other local leaders who have personal knowledge of family situations.
~ Our goal – Provide basic school supplies and athletic shoes required for physical education for 700 youth (kindergarten through college ages 4-18+) including 135 children at the CAM schools that support children with disabilities.
~ Local businesses are supported through the purchase of most paper products and other items needed to supplement in-kind donations received.
~ Donations of cash or school supplies are accepted year-round in Cozumel or in the US by Friends of Cozumel volunteers in Iowa, Nebraska or Texas. School supplies are distributed in late early August.
This is an excellent project for families, cruise groups, schools, churches and civic groups.