We strongly believe in providing opportunities so people learn to help themselves versus creating an ongoing dependence on assistance. Projects support individuals, families and non-profit organizations that demonstrate willingness to help improve their situation; areas within the community we personally know have very limited resources; and special needs identified by local organizational leaders.
Some projects provide donated goods to families for short-term help through a crisis period (i.e. food) or for a specific resource they could not otherwise afford (i.e. school supplies). Cash is not given to families to ensure donated funds are used for the intended purpose.
- Many families struggle to provide even basic staples of beans and rice for their children to eat due to lack of work during low tourism seasons (Apr.– Jun. & Sept. – Nov.). Buying, packing and distributing packages of basic food supplies often occurs in the fall. Donations of $20US provide a nice package of food staples for a family.
- Good condition used or new lightweight, washable clothing and shoes for all ages are needed year round. Family members are allowed to select 1-2 pieces of clothing
- School age children (ages 4-14) need black shoes, tennis shoes, white socks and underwear in early August to begin school.
- Health and hygiene supplies are “luxuries” to families with limited resources. We distribute these donations with food or clothing or as a part of a special project like the flouride treaments provided to children during the Feb. 2010 MIssion Trip at right: toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc.
xxx XXXXX XXXXX
- Bazaars (like garage sales) are held 2-4 times/year in various locations
- Rely on donations of new and gently used clothing, shoes, household goods and toys
- Provide families an opportunity to buy items at affordable prices (honors their pride in being able to pay a few pesos). Donated items are often higher quality than local goods.
- Those pesos add up—All proceeds go to non-profit organizations and services to help families in need and to benefit other community efforts
- Local volunteers help at the bazaars