Summer 2015 Project Schedule
CALENDAR OF EVENTS – Mission Projects July 15 – August 1, 2015
Projects are scheduled July 16 – August 1. Volunteers select their level of involvement and are welcome to join us for just one activity, a couple of days or more.
|SUN 7/12||MON 7/13||TUE 7/14||WED 7/15||THU 7/16||FRI 7/17||SAT 7/18|
| 9-12 Construct canopy
| 9-12 Bazar Prep
Install bazar hangers
Prep recycle area
|Free AM||Free PM||Free PM||3:30 Trans. to FOCB|
|Free EVE|| 5:30 Happy hour @ Pedersen’s
6:30 New Vol. Orientation
| 4-5 Bazar setup
5-7 Gran Bazar
|SUN 7/19||MON 7/20||TUE 7/21||WED 7/22||THU 7/23||FRI 7/24||SAT 7/25|
|9:30 Devotions|| 9-12 EBDV Craft prep
Build bodega shelves
Store bazar items
| 9-12 Ass. supplies
Buy/prep EBDV refreshments
|Free AM|| 9-12 Project work
Build Snorkel Storage
|9-11:30 Distribution||Free AM||11-2 Snorkeling program||Free PM||Free PM||Free PM||Free PM||Free PM|
|6 EBDV Opening||Free EVE||6-8 EBDV Crafts & refresh||6 FOC Happy hour @ April’s||6-8 EBDV Crafts & refresh|| 6-7 Casita Corazon
7 EBDV Refresh
| 4-6:30 Distribution
7 Happy hour @ April’s
|SUN 7/26||MON 7/27||TUE 7/28||WED 7/29||THU 7/30||FRI 7/31||SAT 8/1|
|9-11:30 Distribution||Free AM||9-11 Prep Workshops|| 9-11 Inst. Shelves
& Bodega Door
| 9-11 Projects TBD
Garden tour workshop or snorkeling program
|9-11 Inventory School Supplies||Free AM||Raindate 7/19 snorkeling||Free PM||Free PM||Free PM||Free PM|
|6-8 EBDV Street celebration||Free EVE||4:30-7:30 Distribution||7 Workshops @ VA||4:30-6:30 Distribution||Free EVE||4-8 Raindate for 7/18 bazar|
Note: This calendar is not “all inclusive”. It lists only main activities to give volunteers an idea of the variety of projects planned as well as free time built into the schedule. Projects this summer will focus on three areas: Education/Learning, General Support of Families in Need, and Ministries. One of our goals is to continually increase involvement of local volunteers in these efforts. For clarification purposes, some activities are described below:
School Supply Distribution: This comprises the greatest amount of time and effort in our summer projects. We will be distributing backpacks, school supplies and shoes to 350 children. This is a large undertaking that will take place over 5 different days as we distribute these items and fit shoes to approximately 70 children during each distribution event.
Gran Bazar: This event allows local families to obtain clothing, shoes and household goods at greatly reduced prices. It also serves as a fund raiser for Friends of Cozumel scholarships. Distribution of reading magnifier glasses to those who need them may be done during the gran bazar or other events.
Support of Vida Abundante Church:
- Support of EBDV (Vacation Bible School) Volunteers will lead craft workshops and provide refreshments.
- Facilities Shelves will be constructed to finish off a new storage room that has been built to securely store materials and equipment that the church and pastoral family use. We will also do some minor plumbing repairs, build a portable canopy structure and create an enclosed “privacy area” for the trash and recycling materials in an effort to beautify the worship area.
Educational classes and workshops to be taught by mission volunteers:
- Garden tour The goal of our garden project has been to help families grow food for their own use and/or start a home based business. We hope to arrange a visit to one or two homes where families have put this to practice. Others can learn from their experiences.
- Crochet or knitting, making bracelets Simultaneous craft-related workshops will be held at Vida Abundante Church on July 29.
- Snorkeling Program Youth and family groups will have the opportunity to learn to snorkel.
Casita Corazon (House of the Heart): Is a home environment where children with disabilities sponsored by Carrie’s Heart receive therapy. The Casita serves as a resource center for their families. We do not have specific projects identified for this summer as the Casita recently relocated to a new site. We plan to visit to identify future needs and support local families
Centro de Autismo (Center for Autistic Children): Provides education and therapy for 30 youth. We plan to deliver donations and partner with the director to identify future projects and/or needs as well as families who need support.
Date: June 29, 2015