- The need–Attending a public school is “free”. However, families must furnish the learning supplies (very expensive to buy locally) plus purchase required uniforms and shoes. Families who can’t afford these expenses for all their school age children, may have to decide which children to send to school or what basic needs to go without (i.e. food, rent/utilities, health related expenses) to pay for school supplies. Supplies are only distributed to children “in need” identified by NUAFA, local pastors, Carrie’s Heart, Friends of Cozumel volunteers or other local leaders who have personal knowledge of family situations.
- Our goal—Provide basic school supplies for 250+ children (kindergarten through college ages 4-18+). In addition we try to provide athletic shoes required for physical education for some of the children. Families provide school uniforms, black shoes required by the school and special supplies designated by their school/teacher.
- We coordinate with Chrysalis and Cozumel Community Foundation, non-profit organizations that also provide school supplies for children in need, to avoid duplication of resources.
- Local businesses are supported through the purchase of most paper products and other items needed to supplement in-kind donations received.
- Excess donated supplies are used to help more children, given to the CAM school for children with disabilities, NUAFA daycare, youth ministries and/or Bible School.
- Donations of cash or school supplies are accepted year-round in Cozumel or in the US by Friends of Cozumel volunteers in Iowa, Nebraska or Texas. School supplies are distributed in early August.
- This is an excellent project for families, schools, churches and civic groups!
School Supplies Needed – Red Items Are Greatest Needs for August 2014 Black items we have enough for 2014; excess donations will be used for other needs.
Backpacks and messenger bags (new or good condition used)
Pencil/pen pouches to hold small items in backpacks
Metric rulers (flexible plastic preferred vs. wood)
Scissors (pointed or blunt tip)
No. 2 lead pencils
Pencil erasers (schools prefer white, separate erasers not the kind for the end of pencils)
Small bottles of liquid white correction fluid
Dry erase markers (black preferred)
24 ct. Crayons
12 or 24 ct. Color Pencils
8-10 ct. Washable Color Markers
Calculators (inexpensive, basic calculators for most students; scientific calculators for middle/high school)
Metric Geometry Sets
Spanish/English student dictionaries (Can often find them at Big Lots for $2)
1-4Gb Thumb drives
Buy locally: Bi-color (red/blue) pencils, correction fluid, white copy paper, notebooks. Students typically do not need loose leaf notebook paper.
Related School Needs (athletic shoes) to be distributed with school supplies
New or gently used athletic shoes for children ages 4-12. Greatest need for any color larger children’s sizes 3-5 that bridge to adult sizes; women’s and men’s sizes 5-8 in white (small accent color OK).
Date: January 2, 2014