Remember this theme song from the old TV series “Golden Girls”? Celebrating love and friendship is the focus for Valentines Day in Mexico. In a troubled world with natural disasters and so much negative daily news, it is important for us all to reflect on the blessings and inspirational stories that have and will continue to occur.
Our heartfelt thanks on behalf of Cozumel families.
Your love and generosity enabled Friends of Cozumel to achieve these results in 2022:
- Provided school supplies to ~800 students; 20% students have special needs.
- Increased scholarships to benefit 56 high school and 14 university students.
- Continued covid family support through spring 2022
- Meals: Collected and administered funds for meal program served 3 times/weekly by Vida Abundante; 60,000 meals served during the pandemic
- Food: Distributed nearly 1,300 “despensas” dry food boxes during the pandemic to 120 families
- Medicine/Medical treatment: Paid prescriptions, diagnostic exams and transportation costs for families seeking treatment on the mainland
- Community Clothes Closet opened 1-2 times/weekly serving 20 families/week; then transferred to Vida Abundante
- Installed new technology for safe drinking water systems for 50 families; 154 systems in use
- Expanded support to the most vulnerable people including seniors and disabled adults confined to their homes; babies received formula and ecological diaper kits; and complex family situations served through Diana’s SMILE (Single Mother’s Independent Living Endowment)
- Changed volunteer involvement from 3 week-long “mission” experiences a year to short- term volunteer work sessions throughout the year; 50% are now local volunteers; hosted multiple visiting groups with long-term relationships supporting Cozumel families.
Karen and Larry, Cozumel