“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”Nelson Mandela
Out of work Cozumel families desperately need help with school supplies to enable children to continue their education. We hope Cozumel students will be able to return to classes in August or September. The timeline depends when the island achieves “green” status (100% open).
Friends of Cozumel plans to help 565+ students kindergarten through university with backpacks and basic school supplies. All students are from families in need; 25% of the students have various types of special needs.
If you or someone you know will be traveling to Cozumel this summer and could bring any of the following supplies, it would be greatly appreciated. Be sure to keep the receipts to show Customs officials if they ask about the value of the goods.
Top 5 school supplies needed by August 15, 2020 include the following items:
- 45 Pencil sharpeners with container for shavings
- 75 White correction tape
- 40 Dry erase markers – Black preferred
- 40 Highlighters – Yellow preferred
We’ve included hyperlinks if you’re an Amazon Prime member to great buys.
Interested in helping after August 15th? We collect school supply donations year-round for needs that occur during the school year and for distribution each summer. If you or others you know are coming to Cozumel during the next year you can…
- 1. Volunteer to be one of our “School Supply Super Shoppers” by July 1st. We will send alerts weekly during the “back to school” season via email for the best buys in various US stores. Send your name and email address via Facebook private message or email to Larry Pedersen: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your contact information will only be used for the shopping alerts.
- Help us identify who may travel to Cozumel and be willing to transport supplies… It could be small items tucked in a backpack, corner of a checked bag or a separate bag of supplies. Any help is appreciated. Send Larry (see above) the following information: Name, US/Canadian phone number and/or electronic contact info (email, Facebook and/or WhatsApp); and arrival/departure dates.
- Or make a financial donation to buy supplies locally or order/ship to visitors who are coming.
In our corner of the world here in Cozumel, we’ve seen how supporting youth to continue their education makes a huge positive difference in their lives and directly impacts families to become self-sufficient. To donate go to our page how to make a donation or via PayPal.